Top Ten Tuesday: Favorite Secondary Characters

Posted by Unknown on Tuesday, August 27, 2013. Filed under:


This week's Top Ten Tuesday, hosted by The Broke and the Bookish, is favorite secondary characters.

The first character I thought of when I started brainstorming the list was Tiny Cooper from Will Grayson, Will Grayson. Just because he's such a fabulous, fun character. Also amusing is Miss Havisham from Great Expectations.

Parents and parent-figures dominate the rest of my list. Mrs. Weasley from Harry Potter is probably my favorite literary parent ever. She's just a kick-ass Mom. Also kick-ass are Lola's Dads from from Lola and the Boy Next Door. While many YA books seem to ignore parents, Lola's Dads seem ever-present and a great, realistic pair of parents to a teenager. Another great parent from a YA book is Vera's Dad from Please Ignore Vera Dietz. Really, Vera's whole family is great, but her Dad's flow charts really added to the book for me!

Sister Evangeline from The Patron Saint of Liars and Joette from Finding Noel weren't parents, but their mothering presence added to both stories immensely. Uncle Eddie from Alice Bliss was another of these constant, steady presences that just seems comforting to the reader. (And, he reminded me of my brother which amused me to no end.)

Another character I found fascinating was Death from The Book Thief. I'm not sure if he really counts as a secondary character, as he was the narrator, but since he was a minor character in the actual story, I'm throwing him in. He was just such a different voice - seemingly gentle and brutal at the same time - that I couldn't not give him a nod on this list.

And on a completely fun note, I loved Bubba from the Sookie Stackhouse series. His presence is a hilarious tidbit in the story and he was a character I always looked forward to popping up in the story.

Who are your favorite secondary characters?

2 Responses to Top Ten Tuesday: Favorite Secondary Characters

  1. Maureen E

    Oh, Lola's dads! I didn't even think of them, but they are great.

  2. Unknown

    I love anything by John Green and Harry Potter is perfect. :)

    Check out my TTT: http://spunwithwords.blogspot.com/2013/08/top-ten-tuesday-82713.html

Leave a Reply