Review: Burial Rites

Posted by Cathie on Thursday, August 22, 2013. Filed under: , , , , ,



Burial Rites by Hannah Kent
Published by: Little, Brown & Company
Our source: ARC courtesy of the publisher

What it’s about (from Goodreads):

Set against Iceland's stark landscape, Hannah Kent brings to vivid life the story of Agnes, who, charged with the brutal murder of her former master, is sent to an isolated farm to await execution.

Horrified at the prospect of housing a convicted murderer, the family at first avoids Agnes. Only Tóti, a priest Agnes has mysteriously chosen to be her spiritual guardian, seeks to understand her. But as Agnes's death looms, the farmer's wife and their daughters learn there is another side to the sensational story they've heard.

Our thoughts:

I thought this book was fabulous. It is so well written. Usually, I am in a hurry to finish a book to find out how it is going to end but that was not the case with Burial Rites. Hannah Kent has such a wonderful style of writing that I found myself wanting to linger and re-read many part just to ponder how she had phrased things.

This is Hannah Kent's first novel and I believe that she aced it.  She is a very talented writer and I definitely will keep my eyes open for more of her works.

We would recommend this to:

Fans of mystery and historical fiction

No Responses to Review: Burial Rites

Leave a Reply