Top Ten Tuesday: Books We Would Love To See As A Movie or TV Show

Posted by Unknown on Tuesday, September 10, 2013. Filed under:


This week's Top Ten Tuesday, hosted by The Broke and the Bookish, is books we would love to see made into a movie or TV show (set in a perfect world... in which movies don't butcher the books we love). We had fun with this one.

I have to start off the list with The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman. I just feel like this would be awesome as a movie. I'm sure it's partly because it's fresh in my head, but I felt like I could see everything the way Gaiman described it, so I think it would translate to film well.

Two other worlds I got totally lost in and think would be great movies are Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins and This Song Will Save Your Life by Lelia Sales. These are both contemporary YA in fun settings (Paris and the underground club scene, respectively). Awesome teem movie material, in my opinion!

I'd also love to see When She Woke by Hillary Jordan turned into a movie. This is a sci-fi novel set in the not-so-distant future in which the US government tints skin of criminals as part of their punishment. It's really thought-provoking and would make an excellent film. Similarly, I think The Future of Us by Jay Asher would make a good movie. The book, set in the 80s, finds two teens logging into a computer to see their Facebook profiles of the future. I think it would do awesome in our Facebook-loving society.

To give the TV side of things some love, there are two fantasy series that would make good TV: Melissa de la Cruz's Blue Bloods and Charlaine Harris's Harper Connelly series (starting with Grave Sight). Blue Bloods is sort of Gossip Girl-meets-vampires. Perfect for TV. Harper Connelly is about a girl who, after being struck by lighting, can stand on the spot a person died and relive their final moments - making her a sought-after private investigator. Both would lend themselves well to a weekly series.

On a very different note, I also think Michael Pollan's Food Rules would be a great weekly series. The book outlines in very basic terms different rules to eat by - ie, "Don't eat anything your Grandmother wouldn't recognize as food". A weekly show could focus on one rule per show. I think Pollan's message is fantastic and adapting it for TV would help gt it to a wider audience.

Back to movies, I'm a sucker for historical movies so I'm throwing in The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows. This is another book that's super descriptive and I'd love to see it recreated on screen.

To round out the list, I'm going to pick something different: My Name is Memory by Ann Brashares.  This one I'm not picking because I love it and want to see it come to life. It was the first in a planned trilogy and ended in a huge cliffhanger. Three years later, it doesn't seem that Brashares is working on it so I'd love to see someone else make it into a movie (or movies) and give us an ending!

What movies would you love to see turned into a movie or tv show?

No Responses to Top Ten Tuesday: Books We Would Love To See As A Movie or TV Show

Leave a Reply